Donations made from donors selected by you are called directed donations.
- Your blood type must be known in order to participate in the program.
- The patient must have a written request from his/her surgeon/physician for directed donations.
- Directed units are specially tagged to ensure that you receive the blood.
- Donors must be 17 years old in NJ (16 years old with parental permission in NY) and weigh at least 110 pounds. They must have identification with their name and signature on it.
- If you are a woman of child-bearing age, you should not ask your partner to donate for you.
- To ensure the confidentiality of all donors, information regarding a failure of a unit of blood to meet specific requirements cannot be reported to the physician or to you. Donors will be notified directly of test results that pose a potential health problem.
- Directed donations cannot be made in an emergency. A minimum of 5 to 7 working days is required to process and test the donated blood.
- If all the directed donations are not used in your surgery/transfusion, the blood remaining will be available to treat other patients.
All directed donations are by appointment only. Please call the Blood Center at (201) 444-3900, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and ask for the Special Donor Services Department.
The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the State of New Jersey require a written request for an directed donation.
Instructions: To get a copy of our “Physician Order Form For Directed Blood Collection” click on the link below. The form is not valid unless there is a physician's signature on it - a stamped signature will NOT be accepted. Please print the form, complete all information and sign it.
PHYSICIAN'S ORDER FORM IN PDF FORMAT
Fax it to: (201) 444-1885
Or you can mail it to:
Community Blood Services
P.O. Box 39
Paramus, NJ 07653-0039
Attention: Special Donor Services